CAPPA certified professionals aim to facilitate empowerment, connection, and self-advocacy in families from pre-conception through early parenthood. CAPPA works to foster and encourage culturally relevant education, support, and training in countries around the world. CAPPA seeks to forge positive and productive relationships with organizations that support healthy, informed family choices. CAPPA strives to build a bridge of understanding, respect, and communication with both the medical and midwifery professions. The organization consists of a leadership board, regional representatives, trainers, mentors, advisors, and its membership. CAPPA is the most comprehensive pregnancy, childbirth, and postpartum organization available.
CAPPA will strive to:
- Increase the number of trained and experienced childbirth educators, labor doulas, lactation educators, and postpartum doulas available.
- Provide excellent training opportunities for childbirth educators, labor doulas, lactation educators and postpartum doulas.
- Offer marketing, promotional information, and training to all CAPPA members.
- Educate health care providers and third party payers about the benefits of a labor doula's presence during childbirth and the postpartum doula's benefits during the postpartum period.
- Educate the public by utilizing the media, the Internet, and other means of public education.
- Support women in their choices for childbirth.
- Encourage bonding and establish realistic expectations for parents.
- Provide all parents with information about their options during pregnancy, labor, birth, and the postpartum period.
- Encourage and support breastfeeding, but recognize that it is an individual decision.